Expertise and experience
Michelle is a highly regarded matrimonial solicitor. She is an expert in divorce law, financial settlements and arrangements for children.
She helps separating couples work out their plans for the future, especially if they have a portfolio of high-net-worth assets or there are international aspects.
As a trained mediator and collaborative lawyer, Michelle provides families with alternative methods of dispute resolution to avoid going to court. However, she is also an experienced litigator and offers steely representation.
The types of cases that Michelle is usually involved in include:
- disentangling a family’s financial assets after relationship breakdown, while taking into account personal needs and legal rights;
- negotiating settlements for high-net-worth couples, including cases with complex international dimensions involving emergency applications and enforcement orders;
- applications for spousal maintenance; upward and downward variations, including arguments for re-opening of historic settlements;
- the enforcement of a child arrangements order where one parent does not comply with the terms to allow contact with the other parent;
- emergency child arrangements orders including the preventing a child’s name change and applications for leave to remove from the local area and outside the UK;
- drafting and advising on prenuptial agreements, post nuptial agreements and pre-civil registration agreements, including using collaborative law to secure the terms of the agreement; and
- Michelle has a particular expertise in advising on family trust assets and third party intervenor applications.
Michelle is recognised in the 2020 Legal 500, with the following testimonials:
‘Michelle Uppal is very able and balances being warm and engaging with a detailed knowledge of the law to ensure robust and reasonable outcomes’.
‘Michelle Uppal has a sharp eye, particularly in finance work. She is robust with her advice and very thorough with her legal preparation. She is a safe pair of hands for complex money cases’.
‘Michelle Uppal is a well-regarded mediator’.
‘Michelle Uppal is popular and a very active promoter of mediation’.
‘Michelle Uppal is skilled at child mediation where her empathy is most effective’.