Expertise and experience
Floyd is a mental health and capacity lawyer and is a recognised leader in training and professional development for other lawyers in mental health and Mental Capacity Law.
Floyd represents vulnerable individuals and their relatives as well as being instructed by the Official Solicitor in deprivation of liberty applications or other proceedings before the Court of Protection. He also represents patients detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act, with a special interest in forensic mental health cases.
The types of cases that Floyd has been involved in include:
- representing relatives in proceedings before the Court of Protection concerning the health and welfare of a family member;
- representing mentally incapacitated individuals either via a litigation friend or directly as their accredited legal representative; and
- representing individuals at Mental Health Tribunals in relation to civil detention and forensic detention.
Floyd was involved in the development of the Law Society’s Mental Capacity Welfare Accreditation scheme, which certifies legal practitioners as experts in this field.
His appointment as chief assessor of the scheme recognises his dedication to developing professional training to drive up standards and increase legal protection for vulnerable individuals.
Floyd is recognised in the 2023 Legal 500 as a ‘recommended lawyer’, with the following testimonial:
‘Floyd Porter has a very calm manner and takes everything in his stride’.
Floyd was ranked in Band 2 of the Chambers UK 2023 Guide and recognised for his work in with ‘individuals who lack mental capacity on deprivation of liberty, care and residence issues. He also advises family members on deputyship and best interest matters, while continuing to serve as chief assessor on the Law Society’s Mental Capacity (Welfare) Accreditation Panel.’
Clients and referees have described his strengths as:
- ‘Floyd has an extremely calm manner and is very good at putting clients at ease.’
- ‘He has real pragmatism and expertise so that he’s able to cut through to the solution.’
- ‘He is very knowledgeable and personable.’