Expertise and experience
David is an experienced solicitor and recognised children law specialist. He is an accredited Higher Courts Advocate, which means that he can represent clients in all family courts including the High Court.
David usually represents children and families involved in care proceedings where the children are under threat of removal by the local authority, or some other decision is being made about their welfare.
The types of cases that David has been involved in include:
- supporting children facing removal form their families, ensuring the views of the child are heard;
- acting on behalf of children through their court appointed guardian in local authority care proceedings;
- representing children in foster care who seek to return home or resume contact with family members, contrary to the views of their guardian;
- advocating for children involved in care proceedings who need to defend themselves against accusations of abuse against their siblings; and
- advising in situations where there are extenuating family circumstances such as mental health issues, allegations of child abuse or other concerns about the safety of a child.
David is highly regarded in the field of children law and was asked to give evidence on behalf of care lawyers at the hearings of the select committee of the House of Commons in their enquiry into legal aid reforms.
David is also a trained and registered counsellor, therapist and parenting coach. He runs stress workshops for lawyers, equipping them with techniques to deal with the demanding nature of their professional life: see www.DavidJockelson.com.