You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.
Call us on 020 7426 0400

Violence in the family

Protection from domestic abuse

You do not have to put up with any form of abuse – the law can protect you and you are not alone. One of our experienced, compassionate solicitors, together with a network of support agencies, will support you.

Domestic abuse is not only physical attacks, it can also include

  • verbal insults, taunts and bullying;
  • financial control;
  • psychological abuse and threat of violence; and
  • sexual abuse.
For urgent support

If you are ever in immediate danger, call the police on 999.

When you are in a safe place, you can contact our domestic abuse team at any time, day or night, on 020 7426 0400.

If you are in an abusive relationship or being threatened by a partner, former partner or family member, a member of our specially trained team will aim to see you on the same day that you call us.

We can apply to the court for an injunction (also known as a non-molestation order) to protect you and aim to do this on the same day we see you.  This seeks to prevent your partner (or ex-partner) from using or threatening violence, intimidating, harassing or pestering you and your children.

The court can grant an injunction on an emergency basis on your evidence alone.  This means that by the time your abuser knows about it, the injunction can already be in force and they can be arrested and prosecuted for breaching it.

Our family law team has links with other agencies that can offer you further support once an injunction is in place.

Other legal support may also be appropriate, and we can discuss this when we meet.

An occupation order

A court may also grant an order about who can live in your home and they can oblige someone who is violent to leave the property. The court has the power to transfer the tenancy of rented accommodation to your sole name.

In an emergency, an occupation order can be made without notice.

Protection from harassment

Your abuser may not be a family member. We can apply for an injunction to protect you from threatening or abusive behaviour or harassment by a friend, colleague or someone connected to you in another way.

In an emergency, the court can grant this injunction without notice.

Warning letters

If there is not enough evidence for a court to establish a pattern of behaviour, or you have not heard from the perpetrator for a considerable time, but remain concerned, we can write a warning letter.

This states that the perpetrator’s behaviour is unacceptable and sets out the consequences, including obtaining an injunction, which they may face should they continue.

Funding for legal advice or representation

Subject to your means, Legal Aid funding is available for an injunction if you are on a low income, in receipt of benefits or are completely dependent financially on your partner and he or she is your abuser.

Once we understand your circumstances, we will advise what funding might be available and discuss which payment options might work best for you.

What clients say