You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.

Care proceedings & child protection

Supervision orders for children

Where a social worker at your local authority has concerns about a child in your care, then they could apply to the court for a supervision order as a measure to improve safeguarding.

The Court has to put the welfare of a child first, and a supervision order will allow the child to stay with the family under certain conditions.

Your social worker will have a duty to support the family, advising and assisting as required. This will involve regular visits, and you may be offered additional support or resources to help develop parenting skills.

A supervision order is a temporary order that can be extended if concerns persist.

Who we can help

We support parents, grandparents and other relatives involved in care proceedings.

We also act separately for children who are old enough to instruct a solicitor themselves. Generally, this applies to teenagers only, but sometimes children as young as 10 can be found to be of sufficient understanding.

How we can help

If your social worker has expressed concerns and has mentioned applying to the Court, then you should receive fair warning via a letter giving you a formal opportunity to discuss the concerns with the social worker and how they may be addressed.

Our experienced solicitors will explain your rights guide you through the process and represent you at court, exploring any options for less restrictive orders where possible.

Funding for legal advice or representation

Legal Aid funding is available for parents and those with parental responsibility if their local authority has applied for a supervision order relating to a child in the family.

Contact our family law team

Contact us right away if you are affected by any of these issues, for compassionate, specialist advice.