You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.


Applying for a Rent Repayment Order

If you rent your home from a landlord who has committed a specified offence, you can apply to the First Tier Tribunal for a Rent Repayment Order resulting in up to 12 months rent being returned to you.

An application can be made if your landlord has:

  • breached certain sections of the 1977 Criminal Law Act relating to using violence to secure entry, unlawful eviction or harassment;
  • failed to comply with an improvement notice;
  • breached a prohibition order;
  • rented you a property which should have had a licence (because it was an HMO or because of selective or additional licensing in the area), but did not; or
  • breached a banning order.

You must make the application within 12 months of the offence being (or continuing to be) committed.

Your Local Authority may be able to bring the claim on your behalf. If they cannot or if you would prefer to bring the claim yourself, our solicitors can advise you and, if appropriate, represent you in a claim to the tribunal.

Funding the cost of legal advice

In many cases, we can offer a fixed fee quotation to help manage your costs. Depending on your circumstances, we may also be able to represent you under a Damages Based Agreement (DBA). This is an arrangement where the costs of your case are paid at the end of your case by way of an agreed percentage deduction from the award that is made by the tribunal.

Contact us for expert legal advice

Based near Liverpool Street station in East London, we advise people right across London and beyond. We offer a comprehensive service, from initial advice to representation at court. The housing team is a member of the Housing Law Practitioners Association.

Contact our housing and property lawyers today, we are ready and waiting to help.

What clients say