You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.


Your rights if you are homeless

You may be homeless or unable to stay in your current home because of domestic violence or harassment, relationship breakdown, serious overcrowding or disrepair which makes your home unsafe.

Or you may be facing homelessness in the near future, for example because your landlord has served a notice asking you to leave.

Your local authority may have a duty to help prevent you becoming homeless, or if it can’t be prevented, to help find you somewhere else to live.

If you also have a priority need, for example:

  • you are pregnant or have dependent children;
  • you are vulnerable because of illness or disability or other special reason;
  • you are 16-17 years old (or up to 21 if you have been in care); or
  • you had to leave your home to escape domestic violence.

Then the local authority may have to provide you with emergency temporary accommodation and may also owe you longer term housing duties.

Our team have extensive experience getting assistance for homeless people and have specialist knowledge and expertise in helping young people access help from social services including after leaving care.

Even if we cannot help you to access assistance under homelessness law, perhaps because of your immigration status, we may be able to help you apply to social services for support.

Our housing solicitors are based near Liverpool Street station in East London, and advise people right across London and beyond. We offer a comprehensive service, from initial advice to representation at court.

Funding the cost of legal advice

Legal aid is still available (subject to your means) at all stages of a homeless application, including assistance with a review and representation in a county court appeal or judicial review.

Contact us for expert legal advice

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming so, contact us to find out how we can help. The housing team is a member of the Housing Law Practitioners Association.

Contact our housing lawyers today, we are ready and waiting to help.

What clients say