You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.

Divorce or separation

Judicial separation

If you wish to separate from your spouse, but do not wish to get a divorce then you may wish to consider judicial separation as an alternative, or as an interim step if you have been married for less than a year.  It can be useful to provide some clarity over practical issues in regard to the division of property and money while you remain legally married but not living together.

Judicial separation is not common but may be preferable to divorce for financial, moral or religious reasons, or perhaps while your children are growing up. You can still apply for a divorce later if your situation changes.

The family court will need to be involved to formalise the judicial separation, but you may wish to settle your finances without delay.  This can be done without the court’s involvement via a separation agreement or deed which can be negotiated via mediation or collaborative law – see our page on separation agreements.

We can advise you

Based in the City of London our matrimonial solicitors are on hand for a convenient appointment between meetings or before your commute home. We will explain your options in straightforward language so that you can make informed decisions about what is best for you and your children.

We are used to working with busy executives and international families and regularly have meetings via Skype or video call with clients in other time zones.

Funding for legal advice or representation

Once we understand your circumstances, we will advise you on the options that may be available to you.

Contact our matrimonial team

To organise an initial consultation, in complete confidence, please contact a member of our specialist family team who will be able to help.

Who to contact

What clients say