You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.

Community care

Support for young people in the care system

If you are 16 or 17 and can no longer live with the people who had parental responsibility for you, then you may be entitled to housing and support from your local authority. If you have been under the care of the local authority for a certain period of time then you may also be entitled to a package of support that can then last until you are 21 or even to the age of 24 depending on what sort of work or education you are engaged in.

Navigating the system can be a minefield and young people are sometimes batted from one department to another, refused services, or denied the full package of support that they are entitled to receive.

If you are not getting the help that you need then you may need legal support to put this right.

We may be able to help you with:
  • getting a proper assessment of your needs;
  • obtaining housing and support;
  • obtaining an effective and practical pathway plan;
  • obtaining support and services after you reach the age of 18; and
  • challenging unlawful decisions about what services you are entitled to receive.
Funding for legal advice or representation

Subject to your means, we may be able to obtain legal aid funding to bring a challenge to an unlawful decision.

Once we understand your circumstances, we will advise what funding might be available and discuss which payment options might work best for you.

What clients say