You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.

Child abduction, relocation and disputes

Resolving disputes about children after separation

Children can often get caught in the crossfire when a relationship breaks down, and disputes can occur over a range of issues such as where the children will live, how much time they can spend with each parent, choice of school or religious practice, even over medical treatment.

If you cannot reach agreement, then it may be necessary to involve a solicitor to help you to resolve the dispute.

We have a dedicated team at Miles & Partners to ensure that the best possible arrangements are made for children both during and after a separation. We negotiate to reach agreeable solutions regarding who the children should live with, who they should have contact with and how often.

We can help

Our experience shows that children benefit in the long term if parents resolve their disputes by agreement. Solicitors in the team are members of Resolution, an organisation which promotes a constructive and conciliatory approach to resolving family problems.

If a conciliatory approach is not possible or proves unsuccessful, we are ready to advise on possible applications to the court for orders which can help manage the care of and contact with your children. These can include:

A Child Arrangements Orderwhich determines with whom a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact, and when a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact with any person.

A Specific Issue Orderwhich determines a very particular matter, such as your child’s education, medical care, religion or any other issue regarding your child that you cannot agree between yourselves.

A Prohibited Steps Order which deals with things that one party should be prevented from doing for example

  • taking your child out of the country (see also international relocation or abduction);
  • allowing your child contact with a particular person; or
  • collecting your child from school.

We can provide clear and direct advice about when an order might be appropriate.

Funding for legal advice or representation

Once we understand your circumstances, we will advise what funding might be available and discuss which payment options might work best for you.

Contact our family law team

Whether you are seeking simple, objective advice about an issue affecting your children, or have a complicated family dispute that you cannot face on your own, our family team will be happy to advise you on how to achieve the best outcome when you contact us.

What clients say