You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.

Child abduction, relocation and disputes

Relocating overseas with a child

When a relationship ends, disputes can arise about who your children will live with and where, and how much time you will be able to spend with them. This is especially true when one of you lives, originates from, or needs to work overseas.

The family law team at Miles & Partners has substantial experience in representing parties where one parent wishes to move to another country with a child.  Our specialist solicitors have represented clients from all jurisdictions including the Middle East, Asia, Australasia, the United States, the Caribbean, Africa and Europe.

We can help you

Our solicitors can advise you if:

  • you intend to relocate to another country with your child or you want to oppose the other parent’s plans to do so;
  • you would like contact with your child who lives in England or Wales and you live elsewhere; or
  • you believe that your child has been abducted or is at risk of abduction (see our dedicated page on child abduction).

Where possible, we take a conciliatory and non-confrontational approach to support future contact between your child and both parents. However, if necessary, we will take effective and affirmative action in the courts.

We also regularly collaborate with other professionals to take care of all of your family’s legal and support needs.

Funding for legal advice or representation

Once we understand your circumstances, we will advise what funding might be available and discuss which payment options might work best for you.

Contact our family law team

If you need advice on any aspect of relationship breakdown in regard to your children, please contact a member of our specialist family team who will be able to help.

What clients say