You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.

Child abduction, relocation and disputes

Facing child abduction proceedings?

If you are a parent who has brought your child to England and Wales and are facing child abduction proceedings or would simply like some legal advice about your position, we can help you.

If you child has been abducted, or you think they are at risk of abduction, see our separate page on child abduction.

Miles & Partners is one of only a few firms of solicitors specialising in child abduction cases and are members of the International Child Abduction and Contact Unit’s panel of specialist solicitors. We are also on the Reunite ( list of approved firms.  Our specialist solicitors are renowned for their expertise and professionalism and regularly act in high profile child abduction cases.

We have represented clients from all jurisdictions including the Middle East, Asia, Australasia, the United States, Canada, the Caribbean, Africa and Europe.

How we can help

There are several defences available to respondent parents who have been charged with abduction under the Hague Convention. These include that the child objects to a return, or that a return would place the child at a grave risk of physical or psychological harm or in an otherwise intolerable situation.

These defences are complex and require specialist legal advice. Our child abduction team are experts in this field of law and have an exemplary record of successfully defending child abduction proceedings.

We are also experienced in defending applications from countries where no international agreement on child abduction is in place. We have acted for parents who have brought their children into England and Wales from countries such as Iran and the UAE.

If you are facing legal proceedings for child abduction contact us now as it is important that you seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible.

We will advise you quickly and expertly to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your child.

Funding for legal advice or representation

Legal aid may be available to parents who have brought their child to England and Wales and who are facing court proceedings.

Once we understand your circumstances, we will advise what funding might be available and discuss which payment options might work best for you.

What clients say