You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience and security.

Child abduction, relocation and disputes

Child arrangements orders after divorce or separation

If you have separated or divorced and find yourself unable to spend time with your child or children because you cannot agree with the other parent, then it may be necessary to involve a solicitor to help you to resolve the dispute.

We have a dedicated team at Miles & Partners to ensure that the best possible arrangements are made for children both during and after a separation. We negotiate to reach agreeable solutions regarding who the children should live with, who they should have contact with and how often.

Children benefit in the long term if parents resolve their disputes by agreement, and our solicitors always take a constructive and conciliatory approach to resolving family problems.

If this does not prove fruitful, then we can advise you on going to court to obtain a Child Arrangements Order. This will formally determine who a child is to live with, spend time or otherwise have contact, and when a child is to live, spend time or otherwise have contact with any person.

Other court orders may also be appropriate for certain types of disputes about children after a relationship breakdown.

Our solicitors have prepared a flowchart to help you understand the steps involved in obtaining a Child Arrangements Order:

Of course, each family has its own particular circumstances, so your solicitor will guide you through the process in more detail.

Funding for legal advice or representation

Once we understand your circumstances, we will advise what funding might be available and discuss which payment options might work best for you.

Contact our family law team

If you are having problems in gaining access to spend time with your children, our family team will be happy to advise you on your options.