Is your local authority
refusing to allocate housing?


The way that local authorities allocate available social housing has changed dramatically over the past few years and many now impose strict criteria for access to their waiting lists. Local authorities also look at whether someone allocated social housing in the past should still be entitled to that housing if their circumstances have changed.

Occasionally a person or family may be denied social housing where it is clear it should have been given. This can happen for a number of reasons, including:

  • where they have been given the wrong priority because their medical needs have not been properly assessed; or
  • where they have been excluded because they do not appear to meet the local authority’s residence or behavior requirements.

Our solicitors can advise you on your legal rights, and if appropriate we can help you challenge decisions that appear to be contrary to your local authority’s scheme or which are wrong in law.

Based near Liverpool Street station in East London, we advise people right across London and beyond. We offer a comprehensive service, from initial advice to representation at court.

Funding the cost of legal advice

Legal Aid is not available for housing allocations advice or disputes, unless connected to homelessness or a challenge to the legality of a scheme in the High Court. However, if your case is suitable, we may be able to offer a fixed fee quotation or a no win, no fee agreement.

Contact us for expert legal advice

If you are involved in a housing allocation dispute, let one of our reassuringly knowledgeable solicitors, each of whom is a member of the Housing Law Practitioners Association (HLPA), take your case on your behalf.

Contact our housing and property lawyers today, we are ready and waiting to help.