Is your landlord refusing
to repair your property?


Your tenancy agreement or tenant’s handbook should provide details of your landlord’s obligations regarding the repair and maintenance of your home, and the supply of things like water, sanitation, and electricity and gas If your landlord is a local authority or housing association, their website might also provide guidance on their obligations.

It is your responsibility to notify your landlord of any problems, such as a defective boiler, leaking roof, rising damp, burst pipes or broken windows. If your landlord refuses to make repairs and reinstate services within a reasonable time he or she may be in breach of your tenancy agreement. If so, you may be entitled to compensation as well as having the legal right to insist that repairs and other actions are carried out.

Other problems, such as noise nuisance or damp and mould, may be deemed to have a detrimental impact on your health and could justify action being taken against your landlord by the council under environmental protection laws.

Dealing with an unresponsive or uncooperative landlord can be distressing and it is unfair for you to have to pay for repairs or services which your landlord refuses to undertake or even acknowledge.

Our solicitors have extensive experience dealing with unwilling landlords and one of our experienced housing lawyers can visit you at your home to understand the extent of your problem first hand. We can then advise you on the strength of your case.

Based near Liverpool Street station in East London, we advise people right across London. We offer a comprehensive service, from initial advice to representation at court.

Funding the cost of legal advice

We can advise you on whether you might be entitled to legal aid or, if not, whether a no win, no fee agreement or fixed fee package might be appropriate to help manage your costs.

Contact us for expert legal advice

If you are involved in a dispute with your landlord, let one of our reassuringly knowledgeable solicitors, each of whom is a member of the Housing Law Practitioners Association (HLPA), take your case on your behalf.

Contact our housing and property lawyers today, we are ready and waiting to help.