When your Civil Partnership
comes to an end


The procedure to apply for the Dissolution of your civil partnership is very similar to the procedure for divorce and you must prove the irretrievable breakdown of your relationship by citing one of the following facts:

  • the behaviour of the other party
  • desertion for a period of 2 or more years
  • separation for 2 or more years with the other party‚Äôs consent
  • separation of 5 years or more

The Court will consider your Dissolution Petition and, if approved, grant a Conditional Order. If there are children, the Court will require a document which sets out the arrangements you have made for them, to accompany your petition.

As in divorce, if you’re on good terms, you can take advantage of Mediation or Collaborative Law to come to an agreement about your financial arrangements and ask the Court to approve this in a Consent Order. If you cannot agree, you can ask the Court to decide and make a Financial Order. As in divorce, these orders are binding.

Six weeks after your Conditional Order, the Court will issue a Final Order after which you will be free to enter into another civil partnership or to marry.

Only a limited number of Courts in England and Wales are able to conduct civil partnership dissolutions: the Principal Registry of the Family Division in London, and the County Courts at Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Exeter, Leeds, Manchester and Newcastle.

If you are considering the end of your Civil Partnership, please contact us for advice.