Are you worried about international
relocation or child abduction?


Disputes about who your children will live with when your relationship ends can be complex. This is especially true when one of you lives, originates from or spends time overseas. Miles & Partners specialist solicitors have represented clients from all jurisdictions including the Middle East, Asia, Australasia, the United States, the Caribbean, Africa and Europe.

We can help you if

  • your child has been brought to England and Wales, or retained in England and Wales without your consent
  • you have brought your child to, or retained your child in England and Wales without consent and the other parent seeks the child’s return
  • your child is at risk of, or has been taken to another country or retained in another country without your consent
  • you intend to relocate to another country with your child or you want to oppose the other parent’s plans to do so
  • you would like contact with your child who lives in another country.

Find out more about


Child Relocation

We have substantial experience in representing parties where one parent wishes to move to another country with a child.

Where possible, we take a conciliatory and non-confrontational approach to support future contact between your child and both parents. However, if necessary we will take robust and affirmative action in the courts.

Child Abduction

We can offer full representation to final hearing in child abduction matters, including action to enforce any order for return. We are members of the Government panel of approved solicitors specialising in Child Abduction, and we are also on the Reunite ( list of approved solicitors. Our specialist solicitors are renowned for their expertise and professionalism and regularly act in high profile cases.

Are you a left-behind parent?

Several international agreements are in place relating to international child abduction, including the Hague Convention. These agreements are designed to enable the swift return of abducted children with minimal disruption and distress to the child. The Hague Convention states that courts in the country to which a child is taken must, with few exceptions, return the child. Even if your child has been taken to a country that is not part of any international agreement about child abduction we may still be able to assist you.

If you live outside of England and Wales and your child has been brought here, we can make an application for their return. We can apply for urgent, immediate court orders so the police can locate your child and seize passports to prevent abduction to a third jurisdiction. If necessary, we can also obtain orders that your children be looked after safely by Social Services whilst your application is being considered.

If you live in England or Wales, we can assist you to apply to foreign courts for the return of your child to the UK. We can also assist you in making applications via the English Central Authority or, in certain cases, make an application to the English High Court to aid their return.

If you have reason to believe one or more of your children may be in immediate danger of being abducted by their other parent, contact us now. We can take immediate measures to prohibit the removal of your child from England and Wales.

If your child has been abducted from the UK, or brought here from another country, contact us immediately. Do not indicate to the other parent that you are taking legal advice as to do so may cause the other parent to flee to a third jurisdiction. Also take care when communicating with the other parent to ensure that nothing can be used against you to indicate your consent. We will advise you quickly and expertly to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your child.

Are you facing child abduction proceedings?

If you are a parent who has brought your child to England and Wales and are facing child abduction proceedings, or would simply like some legal advice about your position we can help you.

There are several defences available to Respondent parents under the Hague Convention. These include that the child objects to a return, or that a return would place the child at a grave risk of physical or psychological harm or in an otherwise intolerable situation.

These defences are complex and require specialist legal advice. Our child abduction team are experts in this field of law and have an exemplary record of successfully defending child abduction proceedings.

We are also experienced in defending applications from countries where no international agreement on child abduction is in place. We have acted for parents who have brought their child into England and Wales from countries such as Iran and the UAE.

If you are facing legal proceedings for child abduction contact us now as it is important that you seek specialist legal advice as soon as possible. We will advise you quickly and expertly to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your child.

Legal Aid for child abduction

Legal aid is available to any parent whose child has been brought to England or Wales from a country that is a member of The Hague Convention on the civil aspects of international child abduction or The European Convention on the recognition and enforcement of custody decisions.

Legal aid may also available to parents who have brought their child to England and Wales and who are facing court proceedings, or left-behind parents in countries that are not signatories to any of the international agreements regarding child abduction.


We also regularly collaborate with other professionals to take care of all of your family’s legal and support needs. Contact us for expert, sympathetic advice on any of these issues.